Celebration of Clarke Gammon Wellers 100 years
In 2019, Clarke Gammon Wellers celebrates 100 years of delivering professional services across residential, land and new homes, rural, agricultural and commercial property. Our business has been built on proven specialist expertise and a culture of professional, personal service. By combining extensive local knowledge with in-depth understanding of a broad spectrum of property issues and sound professional advice, we have been able to craft a brand that has lasted a century. In fact, it has grown in prominence and stature as the years have gone on. But where did it all begin for the firm?
Clarke Gammon & Co
When the firm was first established in 1919 it was simply Clarke Gammon & Co. It was set up by Sidney Goddard Clarke in partnership with Frank Gammon who, together, opened the first branch at 188 High Street. Both men had served in the First World War and were looking to create a professional property firm with a difference.
Each came with his own specific skill set, Frank Gammon was a surveyor (and part of the Gammon drapery dynasty) and Sidney Goddard Clarke was an auctioneer and estate agent. Their combination of expertise and local insight created a firm foundation for the establishment of the business – although achieving a century anniversary was far from anyone’s minds at the time.
Clarke Gammon & Emerys
By 1927, the firm was expanding, taking over the premises of tobacconist/auctioneer W. Emery. Clarke Gammon & Emerys, as it was at the time, stayed at 45 High Street (then known as 71 High Street) for more than 70 years, only leaving to move into the address that the business occupies today at 4 Quarry Street.
Clarke Gammon in the 1950s
Chartered surveyor Colin Trent joined the firm after the Second World War, assuming control of the chattel auction rooms on the High Street. During this period the firm really began to establish itself as a local expert and was even called upon by the Ministry of Defence to step in and sell a surplus of defence machinery from its Liphook office in 1951.
Clarke Gammon and Raymond Wood – in the 1970s
The 1970s saw further expansion for the firm as it took on new talent, such as Roger Lawson, and then merged with Raymond Wood of Godalming for the next four years. After this fusion came to an end, the firm rebranded as Clarke Gammon and continued to grow. New faces joined in the 1980s and 1990s, including residential property manager (and later, partner) David Hargreaves and Tony Jamieson who joined from Messenger May Baverstock. The firm enjoyed considerable expansion during this time and demonstrated its importance as an integral part of local communities, for example by playing a key role in setting up the West Surrey Association.
Clarke Gammon Wellers in 2000 and beyond
In 2003 Steve Cook and Mark Steward joined the firm. Both were Directors within a corporate agency and decided to break away and start their own business concentrating on traditional estate agency values of selling property, land and new homes and not financial services. After a chance meeting with Tony Jamieson in France it was agreed, as Clarke Gammon were on the expansion trail that the two would join the firm and open the Haslemere office. The merger with Wellers followed shortly after.
In 2006 Clarke Gammon Wellers office opened in Liphook and during 2007 Steve and Mark become full partners of the company as a whole.
Clarke Gammon Wellers has seen considerable change over the first century but remains a linchpin of local knowledge and a go to for sound professional advice, encompassing all aspects of property. Looking back over the past 100 years there is clearly a lot to celebrate.
For all your property requirements or advice about getting your property ready to sell, get in touch with Clarke Gammon Wellers today.